Thursday, October 13, 2011

Delightful Inspiration


Recently, I discovered a bit of inspiration amidst the grief of losing my father to an 8-month battle of cancer.  In fact, I wasn't even looking for anything of the sort, just a little something to keep my mind semi-distracted instead of fully focused on the loss.

A few days ago I watched a simple yet pleasant movie called, "Miss Potter".  I'd never heard of it before but it sounded quite lovely and the perfect cozy movie to provide a much needed reprieve from the previous days of stress and sadness.  (For those of you who don't know, Miss Potter is a movie depicting Beatrix Potter's life from childhood through her adult years).

When the movie was finished, although Miss Potter experienced loss of someone she loved, I found myself in what I thought to be a temporary trance of hope and newness.  I felt quite inspired that despite my deep loss, I too could move on just as she did, delving into my own art while looking for opportunities to bless those around me.

It's three days later and I'm still feeling this unusual but delightful and fulfilling inspiration inside, regardless of the roller coaster of emotions that's attached to grief.  Since watching the movie, I've found myself researching Miss Potter to learn more about her life and the things that inspired her from childhood on.  I even purchased a divine complete collection of her tales and illustrations.

But it doesn't stop there.  This inspiration is touching my creative soul within as well.  I've found myself diving into my watercolours in what feels like a new sort of way.  As you can see above (left photo), I flipped through my new Potter book and painted (free-hand) some of her illustrations.  It was quite thrilling how well they turned out!

Miss Potter has helped me to see death and life with fresh eyes.  I know so as I witnessed this very thing early this morning while walking alongside the creek.  I'm not sure where this is all going but as long as I feel it, I'm swimming in this newly found pool of hope and creativity.
SHARE:

20 comments

  1. oh my gosh,, I also have a great fondness for Miss Potter, love the movie, (the book was better), I found the book at the library ,, I loved reading it.I have almost all her little books, when I began watercolors I used her paintings as inspirations,,, I'm so happy you and I have that in common.I'm also so happy you found tiny bits of joy in these hard days.You are an inspiration you are,, your paintings are lovely,, just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds like a wonderful film, I must give it a look....thank you dear friend :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You never know where inspiration will come from and this is a particularly lovely way for it to come to you. Beatrice Potter I think was a first of her generation and her illustrations are quite exqusite, as is the one you have done. This ia a lovely uplifting blog post Sophia.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw the movie too. it was sad when miss potter loses her man but when she goes back to her life, it was uplifting. I am glad you are inspired to begin again, which think that's what inspiration does. you helps you start over.

    hope your october is fill with sweet dreams.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you've really found something that helps. That's great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a positive read. I'm sure that Beatrix would be thrilled to know that she is in some way helping you through your grief with her art.

    ReplyDelete
  7. your watercolour is really good! So glad you have found such wonderful inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  8. See Sophia, you are already beginning to heal. I loved the movie about Beatrix Potter also and you have so much in common with her. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was very sorry to hear your Dad has passed away. At least he no longer suffers.

    Art helped me when my sister died last year. As has time and remembering the good. Hope all of those help you Sophia.

    Big hugs

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved the movie and it came to me just after the loss of my mom...I also bought the book and some of her tiny books for my then newborn grandson. I am so happy that you can find inspiration....Art heals...I can tell. Sending love your way. Thanks for sharing your experience and for let us be part if your world.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wowwww really beautiful work. And freehand too--I'm impressed. Glad you found some inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  12. just lovely! and so glad to hear that you've found some solace... xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dearest sweet Alexandra, i am so sorry for your lost. I had lost a loved dear one too and it took me a long long time before i could move on again. I really like this movie lots too! And i am so glad you are in the process of healing. I totally agree with Elizaneth that art heals! Have a lovely merry happy day and love to you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Trying to reach you sophie, I can not post from my blog.. using Google blogger.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh I just loved that movie. I'm so glad that it inspired you and your illustrations are truly lovely. Art is meant to soothe the soul!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have not seen the movie, but I purchased her book last year for inspiration. I love the style and layout of her illustrations in her stories.
    Your paintings are fantastic!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. These are so good! I really love the scarecrow illustration. It's wonderful that you've gotten hope and inspiration from this film.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sophia, I haven't been online in a few weeks and am saddened to learn of your loss. I know that this a been a long journey for both you and your dad. My heart is with you and a new star is shining brightly over you!
    hugs, dana

    ReplyDelete
  19. Take everything good that comes your way with open arms - it's part of the healing process.

    ReplyDelete

© Alexandra MacVean. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig